Batman: The Killing Joke (2016)

Sunday, July 24, 2016

Movie Review Batman: The Killing Joke (2016)

As Batman hunts for the escaped Joker, the Clown Prince of Crime attacks the Gordon family to prove a diabolical point mirroring his own fall into madness.

Batman: The Killing Joke (2016)


Unpredictable Ending !

First off, this is not the best Batman movie there is. Neither is this the best Joker movie. But it is a good movie. I don't understand the First Act of the movie, it is weird and there had nothing except a little bit of character development that was not really required. Other than that I don't have, pretty much, any problem with this movie. I love the Joker in this movie and the story they created for him. I like the character arcs and I like the Batman.

But what I find absolutely incredible about this movie is its ending, trust me you will not be able to predict its ending no matter how many predictions you have. And I loved that about this movie. if you like Batman and if you like comic book movies you definitely should watch it. I mean, I enjoyed it and I think you will. So yes, give it a watch.

Okay to start off I had been waiting for this movie since the news came out last year. This was probably my most awaited film this year and turned out to be the biggest disappointment. So the film is 1hr:16min long, which is a very good length, but the first 28 minutes, were almost unrelated, unconnected to the rest of the film. Maybe they wanted to add more depth to the character of Barbara Gordon, and show her relationship with Batman, but in reality to extend the runtime from 44mins. So they have sex, yep. Also the scene is totally unexpected. Also, my MAIN CONCERN is with the character Paris Francesco. At first I thought he might be our Joker in this film and somehow this film isn't hanging in with the comics. A sociopath, talks a lot, has eyebrows and a long face like the Joker, a wide grin. But then for the rest of the film he disappears. His character was the most pointless characters I have ever seen in an animated Batman film. Moving on, the story wasn't great but the script was even worse. I mean the dialogue felt forces, some lines were added only to fill the film quota. The music was okay, the direction was...mehh okay. The characters could have been voiced with more realism. The Animation sucked though. The one thing I sort of liked about this film was the ending, it was a bit of a cliffhanger, though it is different from the comics. The ending saves me from giving this film a 3 tbh.

I will begin by saying the New 52 Dc animated universe is a total crap bag,except Gods&Monsters which was not included in that universe but it is pretty recent so people might think it is. This comes from the same brilliant people who gave life to the best era of Dc animation and created the original and best DCAU.Mark Hamill returns to his iconic role as the crowned prince of crime and Tara Strong returns to deliver a strong part as Barbara Gordon/Batgirl/Oracle,and last but certainly no least Kevin Conroy returned as Batman/Bruce Wayne.

First I will talk about the animated style since some people complained about it:it is modern,amazing and some scenes were literally taken out of the comic book and animated but without taking that effect away such as:The Joker going to the Gordon's apartment or him coming out of the factory and realising what he became and starting to laugh maniacally.

The characters were represented great and it still gave The Joker the chance to say he prefers multiple origins for he is a man of mystery so all we saw was just a version of how it was,because no one can know the truth,not even The Joker himself because he denies reality and all logic for the sake of fun.This was his greatest scheme ever so far and he wanted to make Batman cross the line but did he fail?Did he succeed?It is open for interpretation.I felt for him,for the first time in my life when he proved some sanity saying it was too late for him to be friends with Batman.Batman had a darker tone,more serious and determined than ever and it was really terrifying seeing him laughing at the end.Barbara, as Bruce said, was just a child and until their sex scene she felt it all as a game and a chance to be with her lover,her idol,her teacher.The commissioner proved himself to be a strong man who kept his sanity in all of that carnival of madness.

I feel the Batgirl backstory of almost 25 minutes was necessary and it was well chosen to portray her relationship with Batman and show that even if she was out there for three years she was not as ready as she initially thought.

Overall it was a masterpiece to witness and I hope this movie will open a new Animated Movie Universe fo Dc for more quality stuff,lead by Bruce Timm,of course.
Batman: The Killing Joke (2016)
Share on :

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2015 Movie Reviews
Distributed By My Blogger Themes | Design By Herdiansyah Hamzah